Salary£30,000 - £50,000
Product Design Engineers, this job is for you if you are a university graduate in Mechanical Engineering, Electronic/Electrical Engineering, Motorsport Engineering, Product Design or similarly engineering related subject and you have experience of working as a Product Design Engineer as my client is a worldwide manufacturer of various electrical, electronic and scientific equipment that has an immediate requirement for a Product Design Engineer to be based in Northampton.
In this role, you will work within a growing R&D team with other Product Design Engineers for an ethical and diverse company to work on and aid the development of cutting-edge products for the automotive industry.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- The role will involve everything from research, creating concepts and prototypes to testing, making corrections and requested changes.
- Responsible for the development of new products to comply with corporate guidelines
- Working as part of the Product Development team and supporting the department
- Reporting on feasibility studies and new products
- Research concept ideas using basic components to work out whether a new development or innovation would work and be cost effective.
- Cost proposals.
- Lead on complex major new products requiring innovative, original solutions, provide technical expertise to the team.
- Plan and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Estimate, track and complete projects on time and within budget.
- Identify and deploy the technical skill set, resource levels and systems to deliver projects, including the engagement of external resources as required
- Plan long range for the project, tracking and completing projects on time and within budget. Results have a critical impact on objectives and goals.
- Monitor the completion of tasks and ensure good performance and record on appropriate systems
- Analyse design proposals and technical information in order to identify the issues arising during development, defining and intuiting adequate solutions in order to reach a feasible proposal with a high degree of conformity to the Company Design Criteria
- Analyse and manage multiple design related issues to identify root cause.
- Modify designs based on the analysis to re-test and analyse until design meets specification requirements.
- Perform calculations required to ensure safe, correct and economical designs.
- Working knowledge in drawing office methods and practices as well as good Component and Assembly drawing creation.
- Responsible for developing detailed drawings and Bills of Materials (BOM) and Routing.
- Create Component drawings to meet BS8888 and to a level that external suppliers can manufacture parts.
- Create Assembly drawings in line with HORIBA Standards and to a level that in-house assembly can manufacture with minimal supervisions.
- Create Piping and Instrument Diagram (P&ID) for new products where required
- Create Electrical specification and functional Design Briefs considering EMC and electrical safety e.c.t
- Work with the Software Department in creating Functional specifications where needed.
- Plan, manage and test Software to confirm it meets the Design Specification and company Design philosophy.
- Understand manufacturing processes, materials and finishes.
- Hands on building and testing of prototypes during the development phase.
- Quality control of work appropriate reviews.
- Acting as Product Specialist for certain products
- Apply specific technical skills as required to support the customer or colleagues.
- Make design changes on existing products and track them.
- Lead and development of innovative solutions to unique problems.
- Provide technical expertise to the team
- Support for Marketing, Brochures, Product Brochures, Product Documentation, Customer Projects, Group Company projects, etc.
- To proactively contribute to the continuous improvement of all the design and development procedures
- Ensure an effective interface with other departments staff is maintained.
- Conduct risk assessment of process and tasks in the department and manufacturing process
- Lead process improvement activities.
- Perform root cause analysis and resolve problems.
- Undertake continuous training and development
Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Mechanical, Electronic, Motorsport Engineering or Product Design is preferred.
- Previous Engineering experience of +5 years.
- Experience in 3D Mechanical CAD software or equivalent, Catia, Pro Engineer or Solidworks advantageous.
- Ability to Design products, Systems, Processes and Layouts.
- Ability to Create Component drawings to meet BS8888 and to a level that external suppliers can manufacture parts.
- Ability to create Assembly drawings of complex products with exploded views and BOM tables
- Experience of FMEA (Failure Mode Effect Analysis) and ECO Design Techniques.
- Extensive work experience in Test Instrumentation and, preferably automotive.
- Consistently demonstrates extremely high levels of technical knowledge, ingenuity and creativity.
- The ability to work with a low level of supervision and intervention
- Previous experience working in a Product Development environment.
- Previous experience working in Emissions Testing environment.
- Working knowledge in drawing office methods and practices as well as knowledge of machining, Sheetmetal and assembly processes.
- Electrical/Electronic Design capability for use with control and data acquisition.
- Experience with gas piping, solenoid valves and pneumatic control systems.
- You will have an organized and structured work ethic to prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Able to plan, analyse and challenge
- Excellent problem solving and Analytical skills
- Able to manage a wide variety of activities at the same time.
- Able to work cross-functionally and collaboratively with many stakeholders
- Solid understanding of all people related process and procedures
- Financial acumen with the ability to control budgets
- Able to identify the root cause of any loss.
- Must be accurate, possess a keen attention to detail, and proactive in pointing out potential issues.
- Will have outstanding written and verbal communication skills as you will be working closely with several other teams within the business
If you are a Product Design Engineer or a Design Engineer interested in working on products and want:
- Good financial rewards/benefits
- Positive workplace culture
- Opportunities for continuous learning
- To work for a company with a reputation for ethical behaviour, Diversity, inclusion and would like more details.